Even though this is an easy eggplant parmesan recipe, it is full of flavor and always met with rave reviews. This eggplant parm is made with baked eggplant slices, which makes it a healthier version. With only 10 ingredients (including salt and oil) you’ll find that this eggplant parmesan recipe comes together very quickly!
- 4 medium eggplants
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1 medium onion, miced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 5-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) grated parmesan cheese (vegetarian, if needed)
- 12 ounces grated mozzarella cheese (about 3 cups)
- Minced basil, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 420 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut the tops off the eggplants then cut them into 1/2″ thick slices. Lay them on the baking sheets, drizzle them with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle them 1 teaspoon of salt. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
- While the eggplants are cooking, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium-sized pot. Add the onion and cook until it is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the tomato paste begins to smell fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes and honey and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer until the eggplants are cooked.
- Spread 1 cup of the sauce in a 9″x9″ pan. Add a layer of eggplants, top with 1 cup of sauce and 1/3 of both the cheeses. Repeat 2 more times so that you have 3 layers.
- Put the pan into the oven and bake until the eggplant parmesan is bubbly and the cheese starts to brown, about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let it rest for at least 15 minutes (or up to 30 minutes) before cutting into it.