This Vegetarian Eggplant Parmesan is easy to make and so delicious. It’s a lot like lasagna only made with healthy eggplant. You will LOVE it!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced (any color)
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 cups panko (or sub gluten-free breadcrumbs, if needed)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk)
- 2 large globe eggplants (cut into 3/4-inch rounds) (see notes)
- 3 cups grated pizza mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the bell peppers, carrot and garlic and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, sea salt and oregano to the pot and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and the honey to the pot, reduce the heat, and let it simmer gently until the eggplants have finished roasting.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare the eggplants. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a medium sized bowl mix the panko, oregano, black pepper and sea salt. Pour the milk into another bowl. Dip each eggplant round first into the milk, and then into the panko. Using one hand for the milk and the other for the panko will make this a lot less messy. Place the panko coated eggplant round onto a baking sheet. Bake the eggplant in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Spread a couple of small scoops of the tomato sauce in the bottom of an 11×9 inch baking dish. Lay half the eggplant rounds over the sauce then cover with half of the remaining sauce and half of the cheeses. Finish assembling the vegetarian eggplant parmesan with the remaining eggplant, sauce and cheeses. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until it is hot and bubbling.
- Remove the vegetarian eggplant parmesan from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
If globe eggplants are unavailable to you, you can use 3 long Asian eggplants instead.
This Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna reheats very well in the oven. I think it’s actually better the next day.