This easy Thai Red Curry Paste recipe takes only 10 minutes to make and is made with easy to find ingredients. It is SO MUCH better than store-bought Thai curry paste! | theendlessmeal.com
- 10–40 dried red chili peppers (see notes)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped shallots
- 2 – 4-inch pieces of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 heads of garlic (heads, not cloves)
- 1/4 cup chopped lemongrass, white parts only or lemongrass paste
- 1/4 cup cilantro stems
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Zest from 1 lime
- Remove the stems from the chilis and remove the seeds and membranes from half. I find this is easiest to do under running water but be careful as it might cause you to start coughing. Soak the chilis in hot tap water.
- Place all the ingredients in your food processor and pulse to combine. Scrape the sides of the food processor and then keep on pulsing/ scraping until a paste forms.
- Store in your fridge for up to 1 week.
The amount of chilis varies a lot. Use this as a guide and always be conservative. You can add more heat later, but you cannot take it away.
10 chilis = mild
20 chilis = medium
30 chilis = hot
40 chilis = very hot
I like 30 chilis, with half the seeds and membranes removed.
Remember, the red color comes from the chilis. If you use fewer chili peppers the color of your curry paste will be different than what is shown in the pictures.