This Easy Fail-Proof Risotto Recipe will have you making risotto in no time. These tips and tricks will get you creamy, cheesy risotto!
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 ½ cups dry white wine
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1–2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh (not dried!) thyme leaves*
- Place the chicken or vegetable stock in a medium sized pot over high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat so that it stays at a low simmer.
- Place the olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until it is soft and just starting to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the arborio rice to the pot and for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add the wine to the pot and stir until it has been mostly absorbed.
- Add a ladle full of the hot broth to the pot and stir well. Continue stirring occasionally until it has been mostly absorbed, about 1-2 minutes. Continue adding the broth, 1 ladle at a time waiting until most of the broth has been absorbed by the rice before you add more. Stir the rice a few times between each addition of broth. The risotto is cooked when the rice is soft but not mushy .. think al dente pasta.
- When the risotto is soft remove the pan from the heat and stir through the parmesan cheese. Season to taste generously with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Stir in the optional thyme.
Dried thyme can often have an off, slightly musty taste that can quickly ruin a dish. Make sure to only use fresh thyme.