This Easy Baked Lasagna is the perfect comfort food with extra cheese and braised beef. Adapted from Jamie Oliver
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3–4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 handfuls fresh herbs (sage, oregano, rosemary, thyme)
- Olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds of stewing beef
- 2 large (28 ounce) cans of plum tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups red wine or water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 butternut squash, halved, unseeded and roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 16 sheets lasagna sheets, fresh or dried
- 1 ball of mozzarella, torn up or 1 cup grated
For the white sauce
- 500 ml sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce or prawn stock
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- A little milk, optional
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté the onion, carrot, garlic and herbs in a good splash of olive oil for about 3 minutes. Add the beef, tomatoes, wine or water, chili flakes and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 ½ hours.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Rub the butternut squash slices with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Place on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients for the white sauce together in a small bowl. Add a little milk to thin, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
- If using dried lasagna sheets, cook for half the recommended time on the package. If using fresh lasagna, do NOT pre cook.
- Remove the lid from the pot with the beef in it. Carefully (it will be very hot!) shred the beef using 2 forks.
To assemble the lasagna:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread a small layer of the tomato meat sauce over the bottom of a lasagna dish. Layer 4 sheets of lasagna sheets over top. Top with a layer of the tomato meat sauce, a little white sauce, a sprinkle of parmesan and a handful of squash. Repeat for 3 more layers. Finish with a layer of white sauce over top of the last layer of lasagna noodles. Sprinkle with mozzarella and a little extra parmesan. Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until lasagna is bubbling and the cheese is golden. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes before digging in.