I promise you won’t miss the meat in this delicious lentil bolognese. By caramelizing the onions, carrots, peppers, and tomato paste the pasta sauce becomes rich and deeply flavored. It’s an easy to make and super tasty vegan dinner recipe.
- 2 boxes of Chickapea Pasta Spirals or Penne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 2 large carrots, finely minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon each: sea salt and sugar
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 5.5-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon miso (any color works in this recipe)
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Optional toppings: grated parmesan (vegan or regular, as needed), sage leaves, black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, red pepper, sea salt, and sugar to the skillet and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until everything is well caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and tomato paste to the skillet and let it cook until the tomato paste is caramelized and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the miso, lentils, and water to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the lentils cook, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes, or until they are soft. Stir the lentils occasionally and add more water if they are looking dry. Stir in the cherry tomatoes.
- While the lentils are cooking, bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add the Chickapea Pasta and cook until al dente, about 5-6 minutes. Drain and toss with a little olive oil.
- Serve the penne topped with the lentil bolognese and sprinkled with parmesan and a few sage leaves.