This crazy delicious Dairy Free Tomato Cream Sauce is truly the creamiest pasta sauce around. It tastes like it’s made with a carton of cream, but it is 100% dairy free. Even if you eat cheese (like I do) you will LOVE this healthy recipe! It’s also paleo + gluten-free + Whole30 compliant and can easily be made vegan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cups raw cashews (see notes)
- 1 – 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (omit or use vegan substitute, if needed – see notes)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it is soft and starting to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Transfer the onions and garlic to your high-powered blender or food processor. Add the cashews and 1 1/2 cups of water and blend on high until completely smooth. Pour the cashew cream back into the pan and add the crushed tomatoes, sea salt, and (if using) the fish sauce. Whisk well and heat through.
- Serve the dairy-free tomato cream sauce over pasta or zucchini noodles.
If you don’t have a high-powered blender, soak the cashews in water for 3-4 hours before using them to make them easier to blend. Simply put them into a jar, fill the jar with water, and pop it into your fridge. Discard the water before using the cashews.
Fish sauce might seem like a funny ingredient to use, but gives the cream sauce a ton of deliciously rich flavor. It can be found in bottles in the Asian section of your grocery store. Whatever you do, don’t smell it! I’m serious. It’s really stinky, but it tastes amazing.