Curried Quinoa Vegetable Stew is an easy to make and hearty vegan dinner recipe. It’s loaded with veggies and quinoa and dotted with black beans and has tons of flavor. It is my favorite vegan stew recipe!
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- Optional: 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (if you like it spicy)
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, or one 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons natural peanut or almond butter
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 ounces kale, torn into bite-sized pieces
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, carrot, and celery and let them cook for about 5 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, cayenne (if you’re using it), and the chopped tomatoes and let them cook for 1 minute.
- Add the bay leaf and broth to the pot and bring it to a boil. Add the quinoa and simmer uncovered for 12 minutes. Add the black beans to the pot and let them warm through.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the peanut or almond butter, cilantro, and kale and stir. Let the stew sit for a few minutes so the kale wilts then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipe adapted from the cookbook Cooking with Quinoa For Dummies by Cheryl Forberg, RD.