Vegan Shepherd’s Pie has tons of flavor thanks to curry spices and caramelized tomato paste. It’s loaded with veggies, lentils, and chickpeas and topped with coconut mashed sweet potatoes. It’s a vegan dinner recipe that is as healthy as it is delicious.
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils (or 1 cup cooked)
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- A pinch of cayenne
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 1-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 portobello mushroom, or 5 crimini mushrooms, diced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon each: chili powder, cumin, and sea salt
- 1 – 5.5-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 – 19-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Add the lentils to a small pot and cover with a few inches of water. Bring the pot to a boil then reduce the heat, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. Drain any remaining liquid.
- Add the sweet potatoes, coconut milk, water, and a pinch of cayenne to a pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the sweet potatoes are soft. Mash with a potato masher and salt to taste.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- While the lentils and sweet potatoes are cooking, heat the coconut oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until transparent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, carrots celery, and mushrooms to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, chili powder, cumin, and sea salt to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and let it caramelize for about 3 minutes, or until it has darkened slightly and is sweet smelling. Remove from the heat and stir in the chickpeas, peas, and cooked lentils. Transfer to a casserole dish and top with the mashed coconut sweet potatoes.
- Bake the Vegan Shepherd’s Pie for 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbling at the edges.