This Curried Chicken and Wheat Berry Salad is full of flavor! All of these spices and ingredients mesh together for an easy to make, comfort meal.
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece ginger, finely minced
- ⅛–½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 cup chopped kale, inner stem removed
- ½ cup real mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- ¾ cup raisins
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted*
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, plus more for serving
- Place the wheat berries in a small pot and cover with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 30-40 minutes, or until the wheat berries are chewy and no longer crunchy. Drain the water from the pot.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized frying pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until it is soft and light brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, chili flakes and kale and cook for 1 minute more, or until the kale starts to soften. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, curry powder, sugar and sea salt. Add the cooked wheat berries, cooled onions and kale, shredded chicken, raisins, cherry tomatoes, walnuts, grated carrot and sesame seeds and toss well to coat.
Can be made up to one day in advance.
*To toast the walnuts place them on a baking sheet in a 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, or until they are light brown and fragrant. Keep a close eye on them as they do burn easily.