Crockpot Vegetable Beef Soup is easy to make and so delicious. It’s a great year-round recipe that is loaded with healthy veggies and tender chunks of beef.
- 2 1/2 lbs. beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (more, as needed)
- 7 cups beef stock (homemade is always best. see notes.)
- 1 cup each: chopped green beans, celery, mushrooms, zucchini, swiss chard stems, and carrots
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped Swiss chard leaves, chopped
- Cut the beef into bite-sized pieces then season with the pepper and salt.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot over high heat. Working in batches, add the beef in a single layer. Fry until golden brown then flip the pieces over and fry on the other side. Repeat until all the beef is well browned. (see notes)
- Add the browned beef and beef stock to your slow cooker and set it to cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.
- 30 minutes before you are ready to eat, add the green beans, celery, mushrooms, zucchini, swiss chard stems, carrots, and garlic to the slow cooker and stir. Season to taste with additional salt, if needed.
- Just before serving, add the swiss chard leaves to the pot and let them wilt.
If you’re short on time, you can skip browning the beef and simply add it straight into your crockpot.
If you don’t have homemade beef stock you can add a couple of beef bones to the crockpot with the storebought beef stock. It will add a ton of flavor.