This crazy delicious Crispy Kale Salad is the most asked for kale salad around our house. It’s made with both raw kale and homemade kale chips, which gives the salad tons of awesome texture. It’s our favorite!
- 1 lb. beets (about 6 small), cut into 8 pieces each
- 8 cups (10 ounces) of kale leaves or baby kale, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese (use your vegetable peeler for nice big pieces)
- Optional: 1/4 cup goat cheese
The Black Pepper Candied Pecans
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (sub maple syrup for vegan)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, grated on a Microplane or very finely minced
- A pinch of sea salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Turn your oven on to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Toss the beets in half the oil and salt and place them on one of the baking sheets. Put them in the oven and let them roast for 20 minutes. Turn the oven down to 350 degrees.
- Toss half the kale with the remaining oil and salt and spread them out on the remaining baking sheet. Put them in the oven with the beets and cook the kale chips for 15-20 minutes. Watch them closely after 15 minutes as they burn easily near the end.
- While the beets are in the oven, make the candied pecans and the dressing. Place the pecans, maple syrup, and black pepper in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and continue to boil, stirring often, until the pecans are coated in a thick syrup, about 2 minutes. Add the butter and stir to coat the pecans. Transfer the pecans to a piece of parchment paper and make sure they are not touching each other. Once they dry (after a couple minutes) you can store them in a bag.
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a bowl and whisk. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is nice and creamy.
- When the kale chips and roasted beets are ready, add both to a large salad bowl with the candied pecans, raw kale, parmesan cheese, and (if using) the goat cheese. Pour the dressing over the top and toss.
The dressing makes more than you need for this salad. I like to use about half of it then save the rest for another salad later in the week.