Crispy Garlic Smashed Red Potatoes are an insanely delicious side dish recipe. They’re easy enough to make for a weeknight dinner and pretty enough to serve to guests.
- 8 medium red potatoes (2 lb. total)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon each: pepper and dried thyme
- 2 large garlic cloves, very finely minced
- Place the potatoes in a large pot (so they are in a single layer) and cover them with an inch of water. Bring the pot to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic.
- Remove the potatoes from the pot and let them cool slightly. Turn your oven to broil with the rack near the top.
- Smash the potatoes (see notes) then drizzle them with the oil and herbs. Broil for 10 minutes, or until the tops are crispy.
To smash the potatoes:
- Use your fist to punch them. This way is more fun but also messier.
- Gently squish the potatoes with the palm of your hand or something heavy, like a pot. This way you’ll get prettier looking smashed potatoes.