This Creamy Roasted Carrot Soup is easy to make and so delicious. It’s topped with some crispy chickpea croutons for a healthy spring dinner recipe that is naturally vegan + gluten-free.
Creamy Roasted Carrot Soup:
- 1.5 lbs. carrots, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, more to taste
- Juice from 1 lemon
- A pinch or two of cayenne
Crispy Chickpea Croutons:
- 1 – 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon each: olive oil and nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon each: garlic powder and chili powder
- A generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Mint, parsley, chili powder, sesame seeds, plain yogurt or vegan alternative
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the carrots and onions on a large baking sheet and drizzle with the oil. Roast in your oven for 50-60 minutes, turning halfway. You want the carrots to have lots of dark brown spots. Don’t worry if the onions look very brown.
- Dry the chickpeas well between sheets of paper towel then transfer then to a baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil then with the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, chili powder, sea salt, and pepper. Mix well then pop in your oven with the carrots and let them roast for 30-40 minutes, or until they are crispy.
- When the carrots and onions have finished roasting, place them in your high-powered blender or food processor along with the broth or water. Blend on high until smooth. Pour the soup into a medium sized pot and add all the remaining soup ingredients. Taste and adjust the salt. You will need considerably more salt if you use water rather than broth.
- Serve the soup topped with the crispy chickpeas and any or all of the toppings.