Creamy Roasted Carrot Soup with Crispy Chickpea Croutons
This roasted carrot soup is perfectly creamy and filled with complex flavors. It's roasted carrots and onions, tahini, ginger, and cumin blended until smooth then topped with crispy chickpeas. It's simple to make, perfect for freezing, and it's ready in under an hour!
If you're looking for a new way to cook with carrots, try our carrot top pesto with oven roasted carrots and creamy carrot pasta sauce.
If you've been staring at a bag of carrots in your fridge wondering what to do with them, here's your sign! This cozy carrot soup recipe is perfect for cooler temperature days. It's hearty, jam-packed with nutrition, and full of flavor.
To make it, we simply roast the carrots and onions in the oven to bring out their sweetness and flavor. Add them to your blender along with the other soup ingredients, then warm it up on the stove. Top each bowl with some crispy chickpea croutons, and a few fresh pepper grinds, and serve!
It's gluten-free, easy to make vegan, and perfect for meal prepping. Make a big batch, eat some for dinner, and freeze the rest for quick lunches or weeknight meals.
Roasted carrot soup ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make this creamy roasted carrot soup:
- Carrots – the humble carrot is the star ingredient in this soup, and roasting them brings out their sweetness and flavor.
- Onion – roast them along with the carrots for a sweet caramelized flavor.
- Olive oil – or another neutral oil for roasting.
- Chicken broth – or vegetable broth works great, too.
- Tahini – adds lots of creaminess without the dairy! It's also an extremely nutritious food that's high in iron and calcium.
- Ginger – fresh ginger adds a warm zing to this creamy soup.
- Seasonings – paprika and cumin make this soup more interesting in a subtle way.
- Sea salt – to enhance all the flavors.
- Parsley – minced, for garnish.
Here's what you'll need to make the crispy chickpea croutons:
- Chickpeas – drain and dry your chickpeas well to make them extra crispy!
- Olive oil – for coating the chickpeas and helping the seasoning stick.
- Nutritional yeast – adds texture and a slightly “cheesy” taste.
- Garlic powder + sea salt – for seasoning.
How to make roasted carrot soup
This creamy roasted carrot ginger soup is cozy, healthy, and filling. It's also easy to make! Here's how it comes together:
- To start, roast the carrots and onions. Toss them in a bit of olive oil and roast them until soft, giving them a little mix about halfway through.
- Next, make the chickpea croutons. Dry them well and then toss them with oil, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and sea salt. Pop them in your oven with the carrots and cook them until they're crispy.
- When the carrots and onions are done, make the soup. Place them in a blender with broth, tahini, ginger, paprika, cumin, and sea salt. Blend until smooth!
- Heat the soup in a pot on the stove.
- Serve it in bowls topped with crispy chickpeas and a little minced parsley.
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Definitely! This is a great recipe to make ahead and it freezes well. Simply store it in an airtight container or silicone bag (we love Stasher bags) and store it in your freezer for up to 3 months.
This soup will keep for 3 days when stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
To make it using a hand blender, add the roasted carrots and onions along with the other soup ingredients to a pot on the stove. Use the immersion blender to blend until smooth, then warm and serve.
Definitely! If you love garlic, go ahead and add in a clove or two. It will add lots of flavor and a little kick.
If they are thoroughly dried (crispy!) then they will last for months in a sealed glass jar. Check out our roasted chickpeas recipe for more info!
What to serve with roasted carrot soup
Enjoy this creamy carrot soup for lunch or a light dinner. To make it a heartier meal, serve it with a slice of sourdough bread and our homemade butter, a salad, or a protein main.
In place of chickpea croutons, also try our mini soup croutons!
Salads that go well with this roasted carrot soup
- Pumpkin Spinach Salad with Maple Pumpkin Dressing
- Crispy Kale Salad with Roasted Beets
- Kale Apple Salad
Popular soup recipes
- Cozy Celery Soup
- Roasted Eggplant Soup
- Simple Tomato Bacon Soup
- Carrot Soup with Coconut and Ginger
- Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup with Almond Croutons
Creamy Roasted Carrot Soup with Crispy Chickpea Croutons
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
Creamy Roasted Carrot Soup
- 1 ½ lb carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth, can substitute vegetable broth
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon EACH: paprika and cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, more to taste
- Minced parsely, to serve
Crispy Chickpea Croutons
- 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon EACH: olive oil and nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon EACH: garlic powder and sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the carrots and onions on a large baking sheet and toss with the oil. Roast in your oven for 35-40 minutes, mixing them halfway, through.1 ½ lb carrots, 1 medium onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Rinse then dry the chickpeas (a salad spinner works well!) then transfer them to a baking sheet. Toss with the oil, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and sea salt. Pop them into your oven with the carrots and let them roast for 35-40 minutes, or until they are crispy.14 ounce can chickpeas, 1 tablespoon EACH: olive oil and nutritional yeast, ¼ teaspoon EACH: garlic powder and sea salt
- When the carrots and onions have finished roasting, place them in a blender with broth, tahini, ginger, paprika, cumin, and sea salt. Blend on high until smooth.3 cups chicken broth, ½ teaspoon EACH: paprika and cumin, 1 tablespoon chopped ginger, ¼ cup tahini, 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Pour the soup into a medium-sized pot and bring to a simmer.
- Serve the soup topped with the crispy chickpeas and a little minced parsley.Minced parsely
This looks delicious! Where I live, it’s hard to find tahini – do you have any substitutes for this?
You can use a nut butter in place of the tahini. Almond or cashew would both work well. You could even go for peanut, but it would change the flavor. The other option is to make your own tahini by grinding sesame seeds into a paste in your food processor. I hope that helps!
Great post! I love making my own chickpea croutons! They’re amazing even on their own as a snack. And the fun part is you can really season them however you like. So versatile. Looking forward to making the soup along with the delicious chickpeas!!!
Thank you so much! Crispy chickpea are the best, aren’t they??
This soup is looking incredible and sounds to be super yum!! Surely gonna try!!?
Thank you so much!!