Creamy Garlic Chicken is the ultimate healthy comfort food. Chicken breasts are quickly pan-fried then cooked in a garlicky cream sauce that you would NEVER guess is dairy-free. We throw in some spinach for a veggie boost and serve the sauce spooned over mashed potatoes or low-carb mashed cauliflower. Either way, it is delicious!
- 1 teaspoon each: garlic powder, onion powder, and sea salt
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in half horrizontally (so that you have 4 thin chicken breasts)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 1 head of garlic (see notes)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup cashew cream (see below)
- 3 cups baby spinach or baby kale
- 3 tablespoons cashew butter
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water
- Sprinkle the garlic powder, onion powder, and salt over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Heat the 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Sear the seasoned chicken breasts until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan. Set aside 2 garlic cloves then add all the remaining garlic cloves (whole) to the pan. Cook them for about 3 minutes, or until they start to look golden. Mince the 2 garlic cloves you set aside, add them to the pan, and let them cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock to the pan and simmer the garlic for 5 mintues.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the cashew butter with the water to make the cashew cream.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and pour the cashew cream around it. Simmer, covered, for 7-8 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Add the spinach and let it wilt.
This is garlicky chicken! If you’d like a more subtle garlic flavor, omit the whole cloves and simply use 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced.
If the cream sauce starts to look a little too thick before the chicken has finished cooking, add a splash of water.