Want an awesome beet soup that will rock your world? This Coconut Thai Borscht has your name on it. It’s made with typical Thai flavors like ginger, garlic, coconut, and lime and the not so typical beets. The combination is incredible. It’s an easy to make healthy recipe you will LOVE!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 1/2 lb. beets, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups stock (veggie and chicken both work well)
- 1 – 15-ounce can coconut milk (save a little if you’d like to drizzle it on top)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sea salt, to taste (about 2 teaspoons)
- Optional toppings: coconut milk, sesame seeds, cilantro
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and let it cook until soft and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, and Thai curry paste and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the beets and stock to the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the beets are soft.
- Transfer the soup to your blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend on high until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and add the coconut milk and lime juice. Season to taste with sea salt then serve the soup with any or all of the toppings.