If you’re looking for the most delicious Lemon Sugar Cookies, this is your recipe. They’re soft and lemony with a light coconut flavor and a tangy glaze. You will LOVE them!
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon lemon oil and a few drops of yellow food colouring
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup fine coconut, plus a little extra for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 (or 4 if you have them) 11×13 inch baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, lemon zest, lemon juice and, if using, the lemon oil and food coloring and beat to combine.
- Add the flour, coconut, baking powder and sea salt and beat until just combined.
- Scoop cookie dough using a 1/4 cup measuring cup or cookie scoop and roll into a ball. Press down the tops so you have 3-inch rounds. Bake the cookies, 2 sheets at a time, for 12-14 minutes, or until lightly browned at the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Once the cookies have cooled completely, pour the glaze over top and sprinkle with a little coconut.
If you only have 2 baking sheets, make sure the two coming out of the oven are completely cool before you put the rest of the cookie dough onto them. If you put cookie dough onto warm baking sheets your cookies will fall flat.