This chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream is perfectly creamy and sweet with lots of delicious cookie dough chunks. It’s addictive!
- 1 cup whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped of seeds
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Your favourite cookie dough recipe, formed into tiny balls. I used this recipe. Place the balls in the freezer until you are ready to use them.
- Heat the milk, salt and sugar in a saucepan. Add the vanilla bean and seeds then cover and let the milk infuse for 1 hour.
- Pour the cream into a large bowl and place a fine strainer over the top. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks together in a medium-sized bowl. Remove the vanilla bean from the milk then gently rewarm it. Slowly add the warmed milk to egg yolks. Stir to combine then pour the milk back into the saucepan.
- On low heat, stirring constantly, cook the mixture until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain the thickened milk into the cream. Add the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Place the cream in the fridge until it is completely cold, and then follow your ice cream maker’s directions to freeze ice cream.
- Stir in chunks of the cookie dough after the ice cream is made.
- Eat and feel like a kid again!
Prep time does not include time to cool mixture in the fridge. This will take a couple hours.