Healthy 3 Ingredient Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream tastes EXACTLY like chocolate ice cream and is made with only 3 ingredients and they're all healthy. My favorite way to eat it is as soft serve right out of the blender but you can also freeze so it's firm enough to scoop into ice cream cones.
This Chocolate Banana Ice Cream recipe has been on serious repeat here for weeks. Like, every other day kind of repeat. I must have made it four times before I realized that I had to share the recipe with you. It's seriously the easiest healthy ice cream recipe there is and you would NEVER know it's good for you.
The first time I made it I threw the three ingredients in my Vitamix without measuring. My handsome man, who's super skeptical about healthy treats, rolled his eyes and told me I was making mashed up bananas, not ice cream.
He changed his tune when he tried it and asked me to make more when his bowl was empty.
And honestly, how could he not? Just look at that scoop! ⇓
Why you NEED this chocolate banana ice cream
- It tastes EXACTLY like soft serve chocolate ice cream.
- It's every bit as refreshing as your fav ice cream recipe only made with healthy ingredients.
- Banana and chocolate ice cream is really just that: frozen bananas, cocoa powder (the chocolate part), and some nut butter.
- I've been making chocolate almond butter banana ice cream but you could easily make it chocolate peanut butter banana ice cream.
- This is the best recipe ever for tricking your kids, spouse, friends, or yourself into eating healthy food.
How to make frozen banana chocolate ice cream in your food processor
I normally make this frozen banana ice cream recipe in my Vitamix. Since not everyone has one sitting on their kitchen counter, I decided to try making this recipe in my food processor to see if it would work. I'm glad I did! It does work, but you need to add a little liquid to help it blend. In this case, it's a 4 ingredient ice cream banana recipe.
And if you are one of the ones that don't have a Vitamix, thank you. Because of you, I got to eat an extra serving of this healthy banana ice cream and call it work.
- Put the bananas, cocoa powder, almond or peanut butter, and some milk (any kind!) in your food processor.
- Turn it on and hold on tight. It'll shake and rattle until the frozen bananas break down.
- Scrape down the edges and keep processing the ice cream for about 3-4 minutes until it turns creamy and delicious.
How to make frozen banana ice cream in your blender
Word of warning: do NOT try to make this recipe in a regular blender. You need a high-powered blender (like a Vitamix or Blendtec) for this recipe. Frozen bananas are tough cookies and trying to turn them into ice cream will burn out the motor of even the most expensive regular blender. If you don't have a high powered blender, use your food processor.
This really should be called Blendtec Ice Cream or a Vitamix Ice Cream Recipe. Because your high-powered blender is so powerful, you don't need to add any liquid to the turn the bananas into ice cream. This means the ice cream is (IMO) even better.
- Put the frozen bananas, cocoa powder, and almond or peanut butter in your high-powered blender. Put the plunger in the lid.
- Turn the machine on and quickly turn it to the highest setting. Blend, pushing the bananas down with the plunger, until the ice cream is smooth and creamy.
Note: Vitamix has a fan which cools the motor when it's run on the highest setting. Make sure to always use the highest speed (even if it's noisy) so that the fan is turned on.
Now that we've got all the nitty gritty about how to make chocolate banana ice cream out of the way, I need you guys to take a look at how delicious it is.
And by close look, I mean a really close look. Does it look amazing?
Watch the banana ice cream video!
Healthy Vegan Ice Cream Recipes:
- Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream
- Lime Coconut Ice Cream
- Healthier Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Dreamy Almond Chocolate Nice Cream
- Black Pepper Pistachio Ice Cream
- Boozy Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 4 frozen bananas, peeled
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons almond butter, can sub peanut butter
- ¼ cup milk of choice, only use if you are making this in a food processor
- Optional: chocolate chunks or chips, to sprinkle on the top
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream in your Blender:
- Place the frozen bananas, cocoa powder, and almond butter into your high-powered blender.4 frozen bananas, ¼ cup cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons almond butter
- Blend the bananas on high speed using the plunger to push the bananas down as needed. After 2-3 minutes the ice cream will run smoothly.
- Either eat right away or freeze for 2 hours so that it is hard enough to scoop into cones. Sprinkle with chocolate chunks, if you'd like.Optional: chocolate chunks or chips
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream in your Food Processor:
- Place the frozen bananas, cocoa powder, almond butter, and your choice of milk into your food processor. Pulse until the bananas are mostly broken down.4 frozen bananas, ¼ cup cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons almond butter, ¼ cup milk of choice
- Scrape the sides of the food processor then continue processing on high until the ice cream is smooth and creamy.
- Either eat right away or freeze for 2 hours so that it is hard enough to scoop into cones. If using, sprinkle with chocolate chunks.Optional: chocolate chunks or chips