Chipotle Popcorn Chicken is the ultimate party food. It’s crispy and a little spicy and served with a side of sweet honey mayo. It’s perfect for any party, snack time, or kid-friendly dinner.
- Oil, for frying
- 1 lb. chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, pureed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup flour (see notes)
- 2 cups panko (see notes)
For the dip:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Attached an oil/candy thermometer to the side of a medium-sized pot. Pour in 2 inches of oil and heat it to 300 degrees over medium heat. Once the temperature reaches 300 degrees, turn the element down to medium and continue to heat the oil until it reaches 350 degrees.
- While the oil is heating, prep the chicken – make sure to keep a close eye on the temperature of the oil. Set up 3 bowls. In one bowl whisk together the eggs, pureed chipotle peppers, soy sauce, and water. Put the flour in the second bowl and the panko in the third.
- Working with 5-6 pieces at a time, dredge the chicken pieces first in flour, second in the egg and third in panko. Keeping one hand for the egg and the other for the flour and panko makes this process far less messy. Once the chicken pieces are coated place them on a baking tray.
- Once the oil reaches 350 degrees, carefully drop in 7-8 pieces and let them cook for 4-5 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Test the thickest one when you remove it for doneness by cutting it in half. No pink means it’s cooked through. Place the cooked chicken bites on a clean baking sheet while you cook the rest. Make sure the oil returns to 350 degrees between batches.
To make the sauce:
- Stir together the mayonnaise and honey. That’s it!
- Either drizzle a little of the dip over the top of the chipotle popcorn chicken or serve it on the side for people to dip.
You can turn this chipotle popcorn chicken into a totally delicious gluten-free snack by using a gluten free flour blend and gluten free bread crumbs. They won’t be quite as crispy as they are with panko, but they will be very close.
Try serving these chipotle popcorn chicken bites in cupcake baking cups. 🙂