There are few things more indulgent than biting into a chili dog. With a soft bun, all-beef hot dog, warm ground beef chili, and melted cheddar cheese, this easy recipe is the best way to eat a hot dog.
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star review in the comments!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1 –14 ounce can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted tomatoes are great in this recipe!)
- 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 8 hot dogs or smokies
- 8 brioche hot dog buns (gluten-free buns, if needed)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onions, to serve
- Add the ground beef to a small pot over medium heat. Let it cook until you see some fat in the pan then add the onions and garlic. Continue to cook until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the honey and chili powder to the pot and stir well. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes to caramelize the honey then add the diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Let the chili simmer on low heat while you prepare the dogs and buns.
- Cook the hot dogs and warm the buns over a fire, on a grill, or in a pan on your stove. When they’re ready, put a hot dog in each bun and top with ¼ cup of the chili, 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar, and some green onions. (See notes)
You can add any other condiments you like to your bun. Mustard is the popular choice and many people like mayo, too. There are no right or wrong answers here!