This chicken vegetable soup is loaded with shredded chicken and tons of healthy veggies. We use bone-in chicken which gives the savory tomato broth tons of flavor. It’s a warm and cozy chicken soup recipe that the whole family will love!
✨ If you love this chicken vegetable soup recipe as much as we do, make sure to give it a 5-star review in the comments below!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (skinless)
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 cup each: chopped broccoli and chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup chopped purple cabbage
- 1 cup kale leaves, packed
- 1 cup sliced green beans
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste (see notes)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and let it cook until it is transparent, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the diced tomatoes (juice and all), the Italian seasoning, and chicken stock to the pot and stir. Place the chicken thighs on top then bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- While the soup cooks, chop the celery, broccoli and cauliflower. After 20 minutes, add them to the pot to the pot and stir. After 10 minutes, remove the chicken from the pot. Add the cabbage, kale, and green beans and let them cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bones from the chicken and shred the meat using 2 forks then add the chicken back into the pot. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
The amount of salt you’ll add will depend on the saltiness of the chicken stock you use, the type of salt, and personal preference. I use unsalted homemade chicken stock and Himilayan sea salt and like to add about 2 teaspoons.