Chicken gnocchi soup is a delicious cream soup made with tender chicken and gnocchi, shredded carrots, chopped spinach, and real cream. It’s easy to make and this homemade version tastes even better than Olive Garden chicken gnocchi soup!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small, bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 carrots, grated
- 8 ounces gnocchi (see notes)
- 3 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach (do not use frozen)
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook until the onion is transparent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and mix well. Pour the chicken stock into the pot and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the grated carrots and the gnocchi to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the gnocchi starts to float to the top.
- Put the cornstarch in a 2-cup measuring cup and pour in a little of the cream. Mix well then add the rest of the cream to the measuring cup.
- Pour the cream into the pot and let the soup warm and thicken. Add the spinach and stir.
If you plan on having leftovers, cook the gnocchi separately and add them to your bowls.