Cauliflower ‘Polenta’ with Mushrooms and Hazelnuts is your new go-to side healthy side dish! It’s a simple paleo and vegan dinner that’s more flavorful than the real thing and super healthy for you.
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, in their skin
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms (I like to use a mix of shiitake and button mushrooms)
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (or sub parmesan cheese)
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the hazelnuts on a small baking tray and toast in the oven for 7-10 minutes, or until they are golden and fragrant. Once the hazelnuts are out of the oven, increase the oven temp to 400 degrees. Roughly chop the hazelnuts once they are cool enough to touch.
- Place the chopped cauliflower on the baking tray and drizzle with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil. Put it in the oven and set the timer for 30 minutes. (You don’t need to wait for the hazelnuts to come out of the oven first.)
- Place the garlic in a small piece of aluminum foil, with a 1/2 teaspoon of oil, and wrap it in the foil.
- After a half hour, mix the onion into the cauliflower and add the foil-wrapped garlic to the baking sheet. Roast for another 20 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, prepare the mushrooms. Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until the they are dark brown, about 8 minutes.
- Place the roasted cauliflower, onions, and garlic (remove the skin from the garlic first) into a food processor. Add 1/3 cup of the water and the nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese and blend until it is creamy. Add more water, if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the cauliflower polenta between 2 plates. Top with the mushrooms, chopped hazelnuts, and parsley.