Cashew Cream of Mushroom Soup tastes like it’s loaded with cream, but it’s 100% dairy-free. It’s an easy to make soup recipe that’s healthy enough for a clean eating detox but won’t leave you feeling like you’re missing out.
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 20 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (or more, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water, divided
- Place the cashews in a jar and fill the jar with water. Seal the jar and place it in your fridge for 2-24 hours. (If you have a high-powered blender, you can soak the cashews for the time the mushrooms and onions are cooking)
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the mushrooms until they have released their liquid and are just starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-high, add the onion and cook until it is soft and light brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, sea salt, thyme, and black pepper and cook for 1 minute more.
- Transfer the mushrooms to your blender. Drain and rinse the cashews and put them in your blender. Add 3 cups of water and blend on high until very smooth.
- Pour your soup back into the pot, add one more cup of water and reheat it gently. Season to taste with extra sea salt and black pepper.
While I do love serving this soup with bread, if you follow a Whole30 or paleo diet you will need to eat on its own.
If you want to get extra fancy, a little drizzle of truffle oil is amazing.