This is our favorite broccoli cheese soup. The flavor is simply incredible. It’s creamy, cheesy, and has the perfect amount of broccoli bites hiding in the thick soup. We lighten it up by eliminating the usual flour and butter roux, but you will never know that this is a healthier version.
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star review in the comments!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed with the side of your knife
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken
- 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Chop the broccoli stems and set them aside. Chop the broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces.
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the broccoli stems, potato, chicken stock, salt, and pepper to the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add HALF the broccoli florets and simmer the soup for another 5 minutes, or until the potato and broccoli stems are soft. Blend the soup using an immersion blender or carefully working in batches with a regular blender.
- Add the remaining broccoli and the cheddar cheese to the pot and stir well. Let the broccoli cook for 3-4 minutes to soften the broccoli.