If you’re looking for a chipotle steak recipe, this is it. It’s easy to make, and the bourbon chipotle sauce is incredible.
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut into long wedges
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, pureed (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 garlic clove, very finely minced
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 4 10oz steaks
- Feta cheese to top the steak
For the salad: (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 pepper, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced thin
- 1 cup radishes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 8 cups salad greens
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potato wedges in a large bowl and toss them with the oil, paprika and sea salt. Sprinkle over the tapioca starch and toss once more. Pour them out onto the prepared baking sheet and place them in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes, turning halfway.
- While the sweet potato wedges are baking, prepare the marinade. Place all the marinade ingredients together in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes, or until it begins to thicken. Pour the marinade over the steaks and set them aside on your counter.
- Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and Dijon mustard in a large bowl. Add the pepper, cucumber, radishes, blueberries and any other vegetables you like. Lay the salad greens on top and set aside. (Don’t mix the salad yet!)
- Once the sweet potatoes have been in the oven for 30 minutes, heat a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat – do not use a non-stick pan or you won’t get a nice dark crust on your steak. Remove the steaks from the marinade and scrape off the excess marinade. Pour the marinade into a small skillet and set it aside.
- Once the heavy-bottomed skillet is hot, add the oil and let it heat just until it is shimmering. Add the steaks and cook for 4 minutes per side for medium-rare or 6 minutes per side for rare. (See notes!) Remove the steaks from the pan and let them rest for several minutes.
- While the steaks are resting, bring the reserved marinade to a boil and let it boil for 30 seconds.
- To Serve:
- Toss and plate the salad. Serve the steaks with the marinade and some feta over the top and the sweet potato mojo on the side. Eat up!
- The BBQ Method:
- Prepare everything as above EXCEPT heat your BBQ, not a pan, to medium-high heat.
For the salad: the salad recipe is super flexible. Add whatever greens and other veggies you have on hand and it will be delicious!
The best way to tell if your steak is cooked properly is to use a meat thermometer and remove it from the pan when it is 5 degrees lower than the temp you want. Remember that steaks continue to cook when they are resting.
130 degrees Fahrenheit – medium rare
140 degrees Fahrenheit – medium
160 degrees Fahrenheit – well done