If you like whiskey, you’ll love this bourbon BBQ sauce. It’s perfectly sweet, a little smoky, and generously flavored with bourbon. Bonus that it takes only 25 minutes to make and is easily made refined sugar-free.
- 1 ½ cups ketchup (see notes)
- 1 cup bourbon
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or sub ⅓ cup brown sugar)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (vegan, if needed)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon EACH: garlic powder and onion powder
- Place all the ingredients into a small pot over medium-high heat. Stir well then bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat so that it bubbles gently and continue to cook (with the lid off) for 15 minutes, or until the sauce reduces to about 1 ¾ cups.
- Store for up to 2 weeks in your fridge or up to 3 months in your freezer.
We like to use a no sugar added ketchup in this recipe. Heinz makes a good option.