Hola! Bonjour! Guten tag! Salaam! Namaste! Ciao! Hello!
Ok, now that we've said hello in every language I know how to, let's talk about this blog income report. I started these reports back in March of 2012. That month I made a whopping $12.37, and I thought that was awesome! Back then I wasn't including my expenses in my income tally, so more than likely I was actually in the red. 🙂
Since then, I've managed to grow TEM into a full-time job. These blog income reports are a way for me to keep track of what's working (and not working) around here and to connect with other bloggers and want to be bloggers. Sidebar → I always give a little laugh when I refer to the blog as a job. Don't get me wrong, it's a ton of work. It's just that I enjoy it so much that it's hard for me to think of it as a job.
If you've been following this income report series you may have noticed a few things.
- There is no July report. I became a mom to a beautiful little girl on May 29th this year, and since I've been trying my best to spend time with her AND run this blog. I fell behind on the posting schedule and made an executive decision to skip July and get back on track with posting the first week of the month.
- There is no March report. I'm only owning up to this now as I only noticed it now. I fully blame pregnancy brain on that one.
Now that I've confessed to you that I'm not perfect, let's get into the details. First, let's dive into the numbers. Then I want to share with you three important strategies that I've used to grow my Pinterest account by over 1200 new followers each and every month.
Let’s get into the numbers first …
- Adthrive – $1,891.00
- Chicory – $56.17
- Viglink – $80.96
- Sponsored posts – $500.00
- Affiliate income – $75.50
Total Income: $2,603.63
- Media Temple – $45.83 – My web hosting company – they are AWESOME!
- MailChimp – $75 – The company I use to send my newsletter updates
- Instapage – $29 – The landing page for Oh My Blog
- Tailwind – $10 – Pinterest scheduler – LOVE them!
- Vaultpress – $5 – Backs up all TEMs files
- Teachable – $29
- Support staff – $425.75
Total Expenses: $619.58
TOTAL PROFIT: $1,984.05
Note: The income reported here is in USD. Although I am Canadian the majority of the income I earn through TEM, and my expenses, are in American dollars.
RPM is a handy formula to calculate how much money your blog is earning. The acronym stands for Revenue Per Mille, or revenue per thousand pageviews.
Total Profit ÷ Total Pageviews x 1000 = RPM
Using this formula we can calculate The Endless Meal’s RPMs:
$1,984.05 ÷ 211,992 x 1000 = $9.36
Top 10 Traffic Sources
Pinterest has been one of the top sources of traffic for a long time, and it shows no sign of stopping. While most people view Pinterest as a social media site, it is actually a powerful visual search engine. Think Google for images. Taking advantage of the power of Pinterest can help grow your followers, increase your traffic, and earn you more money.
Here are my top 3 tips for Pinterest:
1. Create a professional and on brand Pinterest page.
- Sign up for a business Pinterest account and verify your site.
- Fill out the “About you” section so that potential new followers will instantly know exactly what to expect from your blog.
- Append 1-3 keywords to your name. Remember, Pinterest is a search engine.
- Choose a high-quality photograph or use your logo.
- Organize your boards into categories that make sense for your brand and delete any pins that do not match your brand. Move your four best boards to the first row.
- Fill out each the board description for each of your boards using appropriate keywords and a call to action.
2. Use Tailwind to schedule your pins.
- Sign up for Tailwind. (Ps. you can get a free month with that link. 🙂 ) I've tried other Pinterest scheduling tools and Tailwind is my favorite. Hands down.
- Install the Tailwind app on your computer.
- Head over to your Pinterest account and choose the pin you want to add. Click on the Tailwind logo that you'll see next to the save button.
- Choose which boards you want Tailwind to pin the image to then choose either “Add to Queue Now” or “Set Custom Time.”
I like to use Set Custom Time when I pin an image from a new blog post. I typically schedule the pins to go out every 30 minutes until they are on all the boards I want them to be on.
I use Add to Queue Now to repin older pins to group boards. Once I've scheduled the pins I go to “Scheduled Pins” in my Tailwind dashboard and I shuffle the queue. This mixes up the pins.
I LOVE using Tailwind as I can set it and forget it. Opening up Pinterest can be like heading down a rabbit hole … one click here and one click there and before you know it an hour has passed. Using Tailwind lets me stay focused on the task at hand. I typically schedule all my pins 1-2 months in advance. Then, when I post new content to TEM, I use the “Set Custom Time” feature and add a few pins from other bloggers while I'm there. It cuts down on the time I spend AND dramatically increases the engagement I get on pins.
3. Join Pinterest group boards.
Pinterest board group are boards that multiple people can pin to. They're a great way to get your pins in front of a new audience. You will need an invite from the board's admin before you can start pinnng to it.
- Find group boards you would like to join. Search the Pinterest pages of bloggers in your niche and see which group boards they belong to. You can also use Pin Groupie to find boards.
- Follow the board AND the admin's account – This is good practice and will give you extra bonus points.
- Leave a message asking if you can join the board on one of the pins on the board, preferably one the board's admin posted. Some boards will have specific instructions on how to join listed in the board description.
- Wait, and try again if you don't hear back within a week or so.
Remember, when you're pinning to group boards, always pin appropriate content for that board.
Thank you for being a part of this month's income report!
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Autumn Sweet Potato Pad Thai with Corn, Brussels, and Kale - September 18, 2017
- Peruvian Lomo Saltado - September 12, 2017
- Lightened Up Feta Tomato Spinach Strata - September 9, 2017