This black rice salad is absolutely delicious. It’s made with forbidden rice, sweet mangoes and oranges, toasted or spicy cashews, and an incredible citrus salad dressing.
- 2 cups black rice + 3 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup EACH: lime juice and orange juice
- 1 tablespoon EACH: fish sauce, honey, and cooking oil
- 3 Alphonso mangos (or 2 globe mangos), cut into chunks
- 6 mini mandarin oranges (or 3 regular oranges), segmented
- ½ cup EACH: toasted cashews and chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup EACH: thinly sliced red onion and chopped green onions
- Cook the rice. Put the black rice and water into a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and cook for 30 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and set it aside for 5 minutes.
- Make the dressing. In a glass measuring cup or bowl, mix the lime juice, orange juice, fish sauce, honey, and oil.
- Cool the rice. When the black rice has finished cooking, transfer it to a rimmed baking sheet and spread it out into a thin layer. This helps it cool fast. Pour the dressing over the rice and mix well. Let the rice sit until it has cooled and the dressing has absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Finish the salad. Transfer the rice to a large mixing bowl then add the mangoes, oranges, cashews, cilantro, red onions, and green onions and mix well.