This is what happens when I find some leftover rotisserie chicken in the fridge AND I happen to be super lazy and don't feel like cooking. Quesadillas are probably the world's easiest thing to make, which is perfect for those ‘I wanna order take out but don't want to eat junk food' kind of days. I can have one made and be curled up in bed with a movie playing on my laptop in 10 minutes flat.
And now you guys know that I eat in bed watching movies, like a teenager, which I'm totally not. Feeling a little embarrassed right now. Please tell me you do the same sometimes.
So is rotisserie chicken not da bomb, or what? I had it for the first time last spring when I was working on a project with Food & Wine Magazine. (I swear I'm always the last to jump on the new and awesome trends train.) The first 10 minutes after I brought the thing home I spent picking off and eating every piece of the insanely delicious skin that I could find. If my man would have been home he'd have though I turned into a cavewoman.
But how can you help yourself when something's so good?!
So you might notice that when you order a quesadilla in a restaurant you usually get 2 tortillas rather than one folded over itself. And maybe you're some kind of magician with powers to flip a whole quesadilla over without the entire middle falling out. If you are, I bow down to you.
I on the other hand will end up with a quesadilla that looks something like this. I was trying to impress you guys with pictures of the kind of quesadilla I was dreaming of, but instead half stayed in the pan and the other half ripped apart. Perhaps not quite that bad, but certainly not impressive.
Lesson learned: put the filling on one side and close it up like an omelette. Safer. Easier. Way less chance of a kitchen catastrophe happening.
So these quesadillas. They're kinda insane. I'm usually a pretty boring veggie quesadilla kind of girl but the super tender rotisserie chicken smothered in BBQ sauce has changed my mind. It totally works.
Annndd there's corn in here which makes it even more awesome. Tex-Mex flavours. Oh ya!
And cheese. Melty. Gooey. Can never get enough. More please.
You'll notice in the recipe that I've given instructions to warm up the chicken in a pan. If you have a microwave this would probably be the time to use it. It's been so many years since I've had one though that I wouldn't have a clue what kind of directions to give you. #moderndayhippie
So what do you guys do with leftover rotisserie chicken?
If you make this BBQ Rotisserie Chicken Quesadilla, make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.Print
This BBQ Rotisserie Chicken Quesadilla is super easy to make and you'll have dinner in under 20 minutes. The chicken, cheese and veggies will hit the spot!
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ¼ cup BBQ
- 2 teaspoons oil, divided
- 2 tortillas
- 5 ounces aged cheddar cheese, grated
- ⅓ cup corn, defrosted
- ⅓ cup black beans, rinsed
- 1 small tomato, cut in half, squeezed of juice then chopped
- ½ bell pepper, any colour
- Place the shredded rotisserie chicken in a small frying pan. Add a splash of water and the BBQ sauce and warm it, covered, on medium low heat.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of oil into a large frying pan. Put 1 tortilla into the pan and move it around so that the bottom is completely covered with the oil. Place ¼ of the cheese onto 1 half of the tortilla. Add half of all the remaining ingredients on top of the cheese then sprinkle another ¼ of the cheese on top.
- Fold the tortilla in half then move the frying pan onto a burner on medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown and the cheese on the bottom half has melted. Carefully flip the quesadilla over and cook it until the cheese has melted and the bottom is brown, another 1-2 minutes.
- Take the frying pan off the heat then repeat the same steps for the second quesadilla.
- Cut the quesadillas into 4 pieces each and serve with some sour cream and salsa on the side. Guacamole is great with these too!