Baked sweet potato latkes have beautiful crispy edges and are soft inside. They are irresistible served hot with a big dollop of sour cream and some green onions. This baked version is much healthier than traditional deep-fried latkes yet every bit as delicious.
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 1 ½ lb sweet potatoes, about 2 medium
- ½ cup flour (gluten-free, if needed)
- 6 green onions, whites and green parts chopped separately
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon each: paprika, sea salt, and pepper
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Drizzle each baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Peel and grate the sweet potatoes using the large holes on your grater.
- Place the grated sweet potatoes into a large bowl and add the flour, the white parts of the green onions, the eggs, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper and mix together well.
- Use a large cookie scoop or ¼ cup measuring cup and make 18 latkes, dividing them between the 2 baking sheets. Press them down so that they are about ¼ inch thick. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over the tops of the latkes.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the tops start to brown and crisp. Sprinkle a little cheese on top of each latke then put them back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Serve the latkes hot out of the oven with some sour cream and the green onions on top.