This delicious Autumn Quinoa Salad with warm baked sweet potatoes, toasted pecans, your choice of bitter greens, and then tossed in maple dijon dressing. It’s an easy to make and healthy side dish recipe that is perfect for fall.
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- A pinch of each: cinnamon, cayenne, and sea salt
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- A few handfuls of bitter greens, minced (see notes)
Maple Dijon Dressing:
- 1 tablespoons each: olive oil and maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon each: balsamic vinegar and apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- A generous pinch of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 420 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the sweet potato slices with the olive oil, cinnamon, cayenne, and sea salt and place them in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 20 -25 minutes, turning once, until they are soft and starting to brown.
- Place the pecans on a small baking sheet and toast them in the oven along with the sweet potatoes for 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on them as they will burn easily at this temperature if you leave them in longer.
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Usually 1:2 quinoa to water ratio and cooked for 12-15 minutes. When the quinoa is cooked, fluff with a fork and set aside with the lid off.
- Make the dressing by whisking all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, mix them with the quinoa, pecans, and bitter green in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss well.
I used dandelion greens for the pictures. You can also use arugula, spinach, or even mustard greens.
Don’t bother peeling the sweet potatoes. Just wash and slice.