Asparagus soup is a simple spring recipe that is cozy, nourishing, and delicious. It is a healthy cream of asparagus soup that is made with potatoes rather than cream.
✨ If you love this asparagus soup recipe as much as I do, make sure to give it a 5-star review in the comments below!
- 1 tablespoon butter (olive oil for dairy-free)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. asparagus, chopped (save a few tips if you’d like them for garnish)
- 1 lb. white potatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Optional: ½ cup spinach or parsley (for color)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Juice from ½ lemon (optional)
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, or until it is translucent and soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the asparagus, potatoes, and stock to the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the spinach (if using) to the pot then blend the soup either with an immersion blender or carefully in small batches in a blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If using, stir in the lemon juice.