This is the ultimate Wild Rice Salad. It’s loaded with slightly peppery arugula and lots of grapes, toasted almonds, goat cheese, and fresh herbs. Then it’s tossed in an easy to make tangy lemon poppy seed dressing. Serve it with a side of your favorite protein for an easy weeknight dinner or as part of a big weekend feast. Either way, you will LOVE it!
| vegetarian + gluten-free + vegan adaptable
Arugula Wild Rice Salad
- 1 cup wild rice
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 1 cup halved grapes
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup goat cheese (omit for vegan)
- 2 tablespoons each: mint, dill, and basil
Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons (about 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons each: Dijon mustard and honey (use maple syrup for vegan)
- A good pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Place the wild rice in a medium-sized pot with 3 cups of cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat to medium. Simmer the rice, covered, for 40-60 minutes. (The cooking time can vary widely.) Check the rice after 40 minutes. It is done when many of the kernels have burst open. Remove the lid and let the water evaporate before removing the rice from the heat and letting it cool.
- While the rice is cooking, make the salad dressing. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the lemon juice, Dijon, honey, and sea salt. Continue to whisk while slowly adding the oil. The dressing will turn creamy. Whisk in the poppy seeds.
- Add the arugula, grapes, almonds, (if using) the goat cheese, and the herbs to a large salad bowl. Add the cooked and cooled wild rice. Pour about 1/2 the dressing over the salad and toss.
- Serve right away.
If you double the rice you can make this salad twice in one week and use the rest of the dressing. Otherwise, use the remaining dressing on any green salad.