This is what a weeknight, quick and easy dinner looks like for me. It takes all of 15 minutes to throw together, is super healthy and totally yum. It's also paleo, vegan, gluten free, grain free and all that other good for you stuff that's totally hip right now.
My handsome man will usually have the sauce with regular spaghetti noodles, but I prefer it with zucchini spaghetti. It's one of the other things I love about this; he gets his pasta fix his way, I get mine my way.
A few weeks back I posted a recipe for Zucchini Pasta with Kale Pesto, Pistachios and Pomegranate Seeds where I went on about how much I love zucchini noodles (or pasta, or zoodles … ). I told you there that I MUCH prefer twirling zucchini around my fork than eating any gluten free pasta I've ever tried. I even like it better than regular ol' boxed dried pasta.
It's not better than homemade pasta. Not going to lie.
The flavour in the sauce comes from sautéing the onions till they're super dark. Like, just this side of burring dark. You want them brown. Dark dark brown.
Once you sauté the onions like crazy the sauce gets a quick whirl in a blender and a pinch of this and a pinch of that added to it and that's it. Presto. In 15 minutes you get to eat.
Most days this is more than enough for me for dinner but if you're feeling like a little extra you can alway throw in some homemade or store-bought meatballs.
And fyi: this sauce makes great pizza sauce.
If you make this Zucchini Pasta with Tomato Sauce make sure to snap a pic and hashtag #theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on it!Print
This rich flavoured but simple to make spaghetti sauce is a go to favourite around here. The zucchini spaghetti noodles make this a paleo, vegan and gluten free dinner.
- 2 large zucchinis, cut with a julienne peeler or spiralizer (this is the spiralizer I have)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 – 28 ounce can of crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey or brown sugar
- Optional: parmesan cheese or a little nutritional yeast
- Place the julienned zucchini in a large bowl and toss with 2 teaspoons of sea salt. Set aside.
- Heat the grape seed oil in a medium sized pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. You want the onion to be very dark. Just this side of black.
- Scrape the onion and garlic into a blender and add the crushed or diced tomatoes. Blend until smooth. Pour the sauce back into the pot and add the remaining ingredients. Heat until the sauce is warm.
- Rinse the zucchini pasta under hot water then gently squeeze handfuls of it to dry.
- Serve the pasta with the sauce on top and a little parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast, if you like.