Slow cooker dinners are the best, right. Throw everything in a pot, turn it on and then go do a bunch of other stuff while your dinner cooks itself for you. Awesome.
If you don’t have a slow cooker (or do you say crock pot?) you can always do this on the stovetop too and it’s just as easy. If you’re making it on the stovetop you follow all the same directions (throw everything into the pot), put the pot on a small element, bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat to the very lowest setting so it is just barely simmering. Easy!
This Honey Garlic Chicken is super tender after spending a number of hours bubbling away in the slow cooker. It’ll fall right off the bone and shred very easily. I served this with some noodles and sautéed peppers on the side. Rice or rice noodles would also go great.
Make sure to follow The Endless Meal!
- 4 bone-in skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce (gluten free, if you follow a gluten free diet)
- ¼ cup mirin
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely minced
- 6 cloves of garlic, divided, very finely minced
- Optional: 1 tablespoon sriracha
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Place chicken breasts in a single layer in the bottom of your slow cooker or heavy bottomed pot. If they are overlapping a little that's ok.
- In a medium bowl mix together all other ingredients, except for the salt and 2 cloves of garlic. Whisk to combine and pour sauce over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 4 hours. Remove chicken breasts from your slow cooker and place in a large bowl.
- Pour the cooking liquid into a pan and boil on high for about 10 minutes, or until it reduces to about 1 cup. Remove from heat and stir in remaining garlic.
- Remove the bones from the chicken breasts and shred the meat using 2 forks. Pour over the reduced cooking liquid and toss gently to coat. Season to taste with salt. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.
- Using a small element, bring chicken to a boil then reduce heat to keep the liquid at a very low simmer. Simmer, covered, for 4 hours. Remove chicken from the pot and place in a large bowl. Return the pot to the element and bring to a boil over high heat. Continue boiling until the sauce reduces to about 1 cup. Remove from heat and stir in remaining garlic.
- Remove bones from the chicken breasts and shred the meat using 2 forks. Pour sauce over the chicken and toss gently to coat. Season to taste with salt. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.