Roasted Broccoli Steaks are a delicious and healthy side dish. They're pretty enough to serve at a dinner party yet easy enough to make for a weeknight dinner.
Last month Food & Wine Magazine showed up in my mailbox and it made my head spin. On the front cover was this picture of what looked like cauliflower steaks but made out of broccoli. BROCCOLI STEAKS! Why didn't I think of this!
It's seriously genius. It's also the only way I'm every making broccoli from now on. Thank you F&W, you've changed my life.
Remember that recipe for Roasted Broccolini that I shared with you last year? This recipe is a lot like that one, only with WAY cooler presentation. The broccoli florets get all crispy and extra delicious when they hang out in the oven for a bit. Even the stems pick up some roasted flavour when they start to brown.
A little parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of buttered toasted pine nuts and these broccoli steaks become the best side dish. Ever.
Expect to see more broccoli steak recipes popping up around here. 🙂
Some tips for making broccoli steaks
1 —>> Make sure to cut the broccoli from the stem, not from the top. Start by cutting the broccoli in half straight down the centre. Cutting the two halves in half again can be a little tricky. Make sure to cut in the middle of the stem or you may be left with some smaller pieces. If you're getting fancy and presentation is important, it's probably best to have an extra head of broccoli on hand in case one of your broccoli steaks falls into pieces. You can see in the pics that some mine are better than others.
2 —>>> If you want to make these extra delicious, use more oil than the recipe calls for. I call for a moderate amount of oil since I figured you and I will be making this recipe for ourselves and our families, and we *might* be watching how calories we're eating. Doubling up on the oil does make the broccoli taste even better.
3 —>>> Don't skimp on the salt. It helps to draw out all the deelish roasted flavour from the broccoli.
4 —>>> Don't wait, make this now! Is that even a tip? I think so cause you seriously don't want to miss out on broccoli steaks any longer. 🙂
If you make these Roasted Broccoli Steaks with Butter Toasted Pine Nuts make sure you snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- 2 medium heads of broccoli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- A generous pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- A pinch or two of chili flakes
- Preheat your oven to 420 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut each head of broccoli in half, starting at the stem. Then carefully cut each half in half again. Place the broccoli on the baking sheet cut side down, drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle some sea salt over top.
- Roast the broccoli steaks for 20 minutes, or until brown on the bottom side. Flip the steaks over and roast for 5 minutes more.
- While the broccoli steaks are roasting, prepare the pine nuts. Melt the butter in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the pine nuts and toast, shaking the pan occasionally, until they are light brown. Be careful as they burn easily.
- When the broccoli steaks come out of the oven, sprinkle them with the parmesan cheese, butter toasted pine nuts, and chili flakes and serve immediately.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- One Pan Lemony Greek Chicken with Potatoes and Asparagus - April 25, 2017
- Broccoli, Cauliflower, Blueberry Coleslaw - April 22, 2017
- Blog Income Report – March 2017 - April 20, 2017