I’m having a hard time writing anything about this right now. No, I don’t have writers block. I have fingers covered in bits of homemade pita chips and pesto hummus, and I can’t stop eating for long enough to get out more than two words at a time.
It never occurred to me that pesto and hummus should shack up and get it on. I know hummus spends a good deal of time flirting with black olives and sometimes with roasted red pepper too, but this is the real deal. True love, a match made in heaven and all that other cheesy stuff.
Speaking of cheese, make sure you add the parmesan (of course you were going to anyway, right!) It’s like the kinky side of pesto that hummus just can’t get enough of.
I thought of trying to describe the flavour but I think you’ll just have to make it and see. Each flavour really stands out without overpowering the other, and they work so well together (see the part about match made in heaven blah blah blah.)
I’d like to thank my Dad’s wife Lisa for serving me pesto hummus last time I can for a visit. I was practically too full for dinner after eating almost all of it, but damn it was good!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large handful fresh basil leaves
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 small handful freshly grated parmesan
- 1 heaping tablespoon tahini
- A splash of lemon juice
- A splash of olive oil
- A few pinches of sea salt
- Whole wheat pita bread
- Olive oil
- A pinch or two of each or any: oregano, thyme, basil, red pepper flakes, salt
- Combine all the hummus ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Season to taste with sea salt.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the pita into triangles and tear them apart so that they are a single layer, instead of two triangles held together but the top seam.
- Toss with olive oil and spices. Bake in a single layer (ish) on a baking sheet for 10-15 minutes, turning half way.
The hummus pesto can also be served with veggies as a dip.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Spicy Kung Pao Chicken - May 27, 2016
- Sun Dried Tomato and Feta Quinoa Casserole - May 24, 2016
- Cinnamon Scented Vegetarian Crock Pot Moroccan Tagine - May 20, 2016