These Pork Chops and Mushroom Soup is not yo' mama's recipe! But shhh, if you don't tell her, she'll never know. I've swapped the traditional can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup for an easy to make cashew cream sauce that is healthy AND crazy delicious.
We're going all Back To The Future today and bringing back the 80s with these Pork Chops in Mushroom Soup.
Tell me you remember your mom opening a can of Campbell's and smothering pork shops in the grayish, gloopy looking soup. It was my favorite! Seriously, that sauce. Remember how good that was? I've been big-times craving smothering that mushroom sauce over everything on my plate.
I know neither of us are going to go pouring weird MSG tinged canned ‘food' over our meals. Helllllo, it's not the 80s anymore! So I've remade and reinvented my childhood fav so we can all indulge AND feel good about it. Spoiler alert: it's amazeballs.
It's also dairy-free and paleo approved, but don't make it because of that. Make it because it's crazy delicious.
I went back to that Magic Mushroom Sauce recipe I shared with you guys earlier this year and used that as the mushroom soup part of this. It's made with a base of raw cashews and mushrooms so it is crazy creamy with the right amount of mushroom flavor.
It's been ages since I've had a can of cream of mushroom soup, but this is exactly what I remember it tasting like.
We had my dad and Lisa (hi dad and Lisa!) over for dinner the other night and served this and they both asked for the recipe. By the end of dinner, the pan was basically licked clean.
My handsome man said these were the best pork chops he's ever had. He also said that this was only the 5th time he's ever had pork chops, but I'm not picky, I'll take best out of 5. 🙂
You know how pork chops tend to be super chewy and tough? Ya, not these. These are tender and easy to chew, just like they were in the original pork chops and mushroom soup recipe. That part hasn't changed.
Honestly, the only thing that has changed are the ingredients. It's gone dairy-free and healthy, although you'd never know if I didn't tell you.
Can you invite your mother-in-law over and make this and not tell her we've given it a make over? It'll be our little secret. 🙂
If you make this Not Yo' Mama's Pork Chops and Mushroom Soup recipe make sure you snap a pic and tag #theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 4-24 hours (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons oil or bacon fat, divided
- 1½ lbs. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 bone-in pork chops
- Parsley, to garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil or bacon fat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are brown.
- Drain the soaked cashews then place them in your blender along with a small scoop of the cooked mushrooms, the chicken stock or water, sea salt, black pepper and garlic. Blend on high until smooth. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil or bacon fat to the skillet and sear the pork chops over high heat until they are brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Drain any fat from the skillet and lower the heat to medium.
- Pour the sauce from your blender into the pan, mix in the mushrooms, and cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Serve with a little parsley over top if you'd like to make it pretty.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Coconut Black Lentil Curry (vegan dal makhani) - February 24, 2017
- Coconut Lemon Energy Balls - February 21, 2017
- Sweet Potato Noodle Stir Fry with Thai Peanut Lime Sauce - February 17, 2017