This is what happens when you have a bowl full of Meyer lemons sitting on your counter and a belly craving something sweet. They were supposed to turn into preserved lemons, but I've already done that. And, let's face it, these are so much more fun to eat.
I'm starting to wonder if I'm developing a serious sweet tooth. I've always been a savoury kind of girl, but over the past few months nearly half of all the recipes I've posted are for sweets. Remember those Coconut Bourbon Cupcakes? Mmm, they were pretty damn tasty.
What do you think of all the sweets showing up around here? Are you sweet or savoury kind of girls and guys?
I think that regardless of whether you lean towards savoury or sweet, you are going to love these. They're not overly sweet, like most lemon desserts, so the lemon flavour really shines through. The coconut flavour is really mild, it just adds more texture to the crust rather than flavour. If you are wanting a stronger coconut flavour you might want to add some toasted coconut to the tops, rather than sprinkle them with powdered sugar.
If you make these Lemon Coconut Bars, make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted, cooled
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or an additional 2 tablespoons of butter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons (packed) finely grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a little overhang.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor and blend for 5 seconds. Add coconut, butter and coconut oil and process until mixture resembles fine meal and begins to clump together.
- Spread the crust mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and press down so it forms a crust. Bake crust until golden at edges, about 20 minutes.
- Combine sugar, eggs, lemon juice, lemon peel, flour and salt in a food processor. Blend filling until smooth.
- Remove crust from oven. Pour filling evenly over hot crust. Return to oven and bake until filling begins to brown at edges and is just set and springy to touch in center, about 20 minutes. Transfer pan to rack; cool lemon bars completely.
- Using the parchment paper as an aid, transfer lemon bars to work surface. Cut into 16 bars. Sift powdered sugar over top.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Coconut Black Lentil Curry (vegan dal makhani) - February 24, 2017
- Coconut Lemon Energy Balls - February 21, 2017
- Sweet Potato Noodle Stir Fry with Thai Peanut Lime Sauce - February 17, 2017