There are days that I have trouble taking my job seriously. Like today, does this actually look like a real job? It looks a whole lot more like a big pan of ooey, gooey, fudgy, delicious chocolate than anything resembling work. Not that I'm complaining. The only thing that I have to complain about right now is that it is gone. All of it. All I have left are these pictures I'm sharing with you, few tiny crumbs and some chocolate on the corners of my lips.
Have I told you before that I don't normally do the whole healthy dessert thing? I've caved on occasion but normally I feel that dessert is a treat and if I feel like a treat then I shouldn't be forced to eat a healthy treat. These brownies though are going to make me think twice next time I get all healthy dessert snobbish.
The zucchini in here is compliments of Todd from The Mighty Fraser Motel and Fat Jack's Diner. The words motel and diner might throw you off but trust me, if you're in Boston Bar you MUST eat there. I could carry on about it, but instead I'll just tell you to go and see for yourself.
The whole healthy brownie thing started in part because of the 5lb zucchini I trotted home from Boston Bar and partly because of this whole running thing I've been doing lately. I'll tell you more about that on another post. Too much healthy healthy otherwise. 😉
Anyway … healthy … brownies … who knew they could be so frickin-out-of-this-world-amazeballs??!!
I've replaced the butter with coconut oil, reduced the sugar, created a healthier glaze and snuck in some greens. Speaking of the glaze, just look at this:
Mmm ♥ healthy chocolate zucchini brownies!
Because of all the dark chocolate chips and moist zucchini these brownies have a really rich fudge texture. Even a small piece will do wonders towards satisfying your sweet tooth.
Happy healthy dessert eating!
If you make these Fudgy Chocolate Zucchini Brownies make sure you snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on them. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (You can sub a gluten free flour blend)
- 3 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 large egg (*See note)
- 1 cup grated zucchini, squeezed to remove the liquid
- ¼ - ½ cup brown sugar (see note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- A pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the coconut oil and ½ cup of the dark chocolate chips in a small frying pan over medium heat and let them melt. Once they have melted whisk them together and remove them from the heat.
- While the chocolate is melting add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and sea salt to a large bowl and whisk them together well.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, zucchini, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Once the chocolate has melted, add it to the bowl with the egg and whisk to combine. Pour this into the bowl with the flour and stir everything together. Add the remaining ½ cup of dark chocolate chips to the bowl and stir together.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking sheet and spread it around so that it covers the pan in a single layer. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- While the brownies are baking, prepare the glaze.
- In a small frying pan over medium heat melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cocoa powder, powdered sugar and a pinch of sea salt.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled brownies and spread it so that it covers the top of the brownies evenly.
- Cut the brownies into 12 pieces and enjoy!
*If you eat a plant based diet you can substitute a flax egg for the real egg.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Quinoa Ranch Cauliflower Burgers with Zucchini Coleslaw - May 28, 2017
- Fresh Pineapple Margaritas with Sweet and Spicy Rim Salt - May 25, 2017
- Pan Fried Chicken and Mushrooms with Creamy Cauliflower Mash - May 23, 2017