I know that the words breakfast and salad don’t normally have any place being used together in the same sentence. Never mind actually eating a salad for breakfast … weird, right? It is a little strange but I’ve never been one for conformity. And besides, it’s really really good. It is also the second post I ever posted here on The Endless Meal. Yep, this exact salad made an appearance almost 2 years (2 years!) ago. I wanted to share it with you again because:
- I love this salad
- I haven’t had it in ages until my sister reminded me about it last week
- I didn’t want to link to the original post with the embarrassingly not tasty looking iPhone photo. (But if you want to you can check it out here and I promise I’ll try not to cringe too much. 🙂 )
I’ll be honest with you, this isn’t the type of breakfast I’d reach for if I had to get my butt out of bed really early; for that I’d want some camping style greasy bacon and eggs. This is more of a 10am weekend breakfast after I’ve already had my coffee and want something healthy to start my day with.
You might notice after reading the recipe that it calls for avocado but in the pics there is clearly a lack anything resembling an avocado. That’s because the avocado I bought for this I found hiding in the bottom of my shopping bag after I had already taken these pics. Oops!
I have a confession to make. You see those runny looking egg yolks? Nothing creeps me out more than those. After the photo shoot I had to pop the eggs back in the pan and cook them until they became very un-photogenic and perfectly solid throughout. Why am I telling you this? I think I feel just a little fake if the pics I’m showing you weren’t actually exactly how I ate it. Anyway, now you know about my strange paranoia with runny egg yolks. 🙂
If you make this Healthy Breakfast Salad make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
- ½ english cucumber, cut into quarters and then thickly sliced
- 2 large handfuls of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 not too ripe avocado, diced
- 1 small handful of fresh basil, torn into bit sized pieces
- 1 small handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup of pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon mild flavoured flaky sea salt, such as Maldon or a black lava sea salt
- 2 eggs
- Oil for frying the eggs
- Combine all veggies, pine nuts, olive oil and salt together in a large bowl and toss well.
- Heat a skillet (cast iron works great) over medium heat and add a splash of oil. When the pan is hot crack both of the eggs into the pan. Add a small splash of water to the pan to help the eggs cook. Remove the eggs from the skillet and serve over the salad once they are cooked to your liking.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Summer Veggie Skillet Enchiladas - July 22, 2016
- Lemongrass Vietnamese Meatballs - July 19, 2016
- Grilled Jerk Chicken Tacos with Gold Kiwifruit Salsa and Sweet Coconut Plantains - July 15, 2016