The last time I ate chicken nuggets I was probably a teenager. And why (WHY?) haven’t I had them since? They’re every bit as good as I remember them being. Even better, perhaps. I feel like a fool for waiting so long to reacquaint myself with my childhood favourite snack/lunch/dinner. Heck, I’d probably have eaten them for breakfast if I had been allowed.
The ones I remember from when I was a kid came in a package stored in the freezer. They were easy enough for even a 7 year old me to pull out the package, dump a few (several dozen) onto a baking tray and pop in the oven. When no one was around to monitor my honey mayo sauce making I’d make a good cup of the stuff and drench each chicken nugget in as much creamy sweet sauce as it could hold.
I *might* have done the same with a few of these crispy babies in the picture. Just for old time’s sake, of course.
The difference between those frozen nuggets in my memory and these tasty things I just devoured is this: these are good for you! Yep, it’s true. (Although you might want to be a little more modest than I was in your honey mayo sauce dipping.) Unlike store bought nuggets which are deep fried before you bake them these just go straight into the oven. No deep frying necessary.
Here’s a few other things I think you’ll love about these:
- They take only 5 minutes to prep. Seriously, 5 minutes. By the time they come out of the oven you’ll have the sauce made, dishes done and had a power nap/ put in the laundry/ watched half of your favourite show.
- They’ll take you on a happy childhood daydream.
- All the ingredients for these are probably staples in your house. Ok, maybe not the chicken tenders but chicken breasts could easily be substituted.
- You can pronounce all the ingredients in the recipe. (Unlike the ingredient list of the back of a package.)
- Your kids will think you are a rockstar if you make them chicken nuggets for lunch/dinner/snack time.
- They’ll make you happy, I promise. Especially when your fingers get covered in the sweet sauce.
Ok, now please promise me you’ll go straight to your kitchen and make these. And promise me you’ll make extra so I can stop by and have some too. 🙂
If you make these Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mayo Sauce make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
- ¾ cup panko
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 10 chicken tenders, cut in half
- Equal parts honey and real mayonnaise (do not use Miracle Whip for this recipe or it will taste funny)
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the panko, salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl. Whisk the egg in a second bowl with a teaspoon of water.
- Drop all the chicken tenders into the bowl with the egg. One at a time pull them out and drop them in the bowl with the panko, making sure that each piece is completely covered in panko before placing it onto the prepared baking sheet. (Keep one hand for pulling the chicken out of the egg and the other for coating it in panko.)
- Bake the chicken nuggets in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and set the baking tray on the top shelf in the oven. Broil for 5 minutes, or until the tops are brown and crispy and the chicken nuggets are 165 degrees.
- Whisk together equal parts of honey and mayonnaise with a tiny pinch of sea salt.