Hawaiian Hot Dogs with Grilled Pineapple and Teriyaki Mayo are crazy delicious and make the perfect summer dinner recipe. Plus, they can easily be made vegan + gluten-free!
This is a sponsored post from the wonderfully colourful paper company, RENOVA. All opinions, photography and the recipe are all my own.
If you’re wondering what a hot dog recipe is doing here on The Endless Meal let me assure you: these are no ordinary hot dogs, these are Hawaiian Hot Dogs. “What are Hawaiian hot dogs”, you say? I’m glad you asked.
Hawaiian hot dogs are topped with sweet and smoky grilled pineapple and smothered in (or drizzled on, if smothering isn’t your thing) teriyaki mayo. Make sure to sprinkle the optional cayenne pepper on the pineapple, so there’s this sweet/smoky/spicy thing going on that I just absolutely love.
Bonus: they can easily be made vegan-friendly with some vegan mayo and a meatless hot dog. Or make them for your gluten avoiding pals by putting them on a gluten-free bun. Or ditch the bread for your paleo friends. Ok, I think you guys get it … these hot dogs don’t discriminate.
Hawaiian hot dogs might look (and taste) like some sort of fancy pants hot dogs but trust me, they’re only about 30 seconds more work than a regular Weiner on a bun. They’re perfect for a hot, summer BBQ party.
Speaking of parties, aren’t these napkins 100% party perfect? RENOVA has been called “The Sexiest Paper On Earth.” It’s quite the statement, but I think it’s true.
If you haven’t heard of RENOVA before they’re a Portuguese-based company that sells colourful paper products, namely napkins, tissue, paper towels and toilet paper. (Don’t worry, I’m not going to talk to you about tp here. This is a food blog, and that would be kind of weird.) Their napkins come in purple, red, yellow, blue, orange, green and fuchsia and are great for mixing and matching to add some playful colour to your table. Check out their Facebook page to see all the pretty colours.
Now please, drop whatever you are doing and go and make these Hawaiian hot dogs! Oh, and give me a shout so I can come over and help you eat them. 🙂
Make sure to snap a pic of these Hawaiian Hot Dogs when you make them and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on them!
- ½ pineapple, cut in half then sliced into ¼ inch thick rounds
- 1 teaspoon grape seed oil
- Optional: ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 hot dogs - I used Grimm's smokies (use vegan hot dogs for a vegan hot dog feast!)
- 8 hot dog buns (gluten free, if needed)
- ¼ cup real mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip!), sub vegan mayo if needed
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Thinly sliced red onions, jalapeño peppers, cilantro
- Preheat your grill to high and oil the grate.
- Combine all the teriyaki mayo ingredients together in a small bowl and mix well.
- Toss the pineapple slices with the grape seed oil then grill until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes. Flip the pineapple slices over, sprinkle with cayenne pepper (if you like it spicy), then remove the pineapple from the grill.
- Turn the grill down to medium-high and BBQ the smokies until they are cooked through, 7-10 minutes, turning a few times. Lightly toast the buns on the grill for about 1 minute.
- Serve the hot dogs with slices of grilled pineapple, teriyaki mayo and some or all of the toppings.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of RENOVA. The opinions and text are all mine.