Earlier this week, I found myself searching through the depths of my fridge looking for things to throw together for a late evening picnic. There was some leftover Mexican corn (which I promise to share the recipe with you really really soon) and some smoked salmon, a bunch of broccoli, kale and blueberries. Well, actually there were no blueberries. That night I threw in some handfuls of dried cranberries; the blueberries came the next day when I made this for a gorgeous backyard white party. And by white party I mean a party where everyone dons their finest summer whites and drinks Pimm's. Sounds boring, but trust me it is anything but. 🙂
Oh and that late evening picnic … that turned into a picnic on the living room floor sitting on our favourite Mexican beach blanket. It was perfect.
Ever since I was first introduced to the idea of eating kale in salads, (like this Baby Kale Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Spicy Candied Pecans) as opposed to eating it steamed or sautéed to a generally icky mess, I have totally fallen in love. This is more than just a crush. Seriously, I could eat it everyday.
And broccoli stems … ya, I know they seem boring and I bet you usually chop them off and toss them into the garbage, right? Don't feel bad, I used to too. Next time you're making a salad (like this one!) try chopping them up and adding them to it. They'll add a lot of crunch, kind of like celery.
The coconut oil is key to this salad. It adds an unexpected and summery flavour to an otherwise simple salad. There is a fair bit of sweetness in this salad, which helps balance the bitterness of the kale and broccoli. I think any of summer's fresh berries would work well if you don't have blueberries. 🙂
If you make Broccoli and Kale Salad with Blueberries and Coconut make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons honey or ¼ cup agave
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, grated using a microplane or very finely minced
- A generous pinch of salt
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1 bunch of kale, washed well
- ½ cup of thick shredded coconut*
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Chop the broccoli into small florets. Also chop the broccoli stems into ¼ inch pieces.
- Remove the tough inner rib from the kale leaves. Using a food processor, pulse the leaves a few times to finely chop them. You may have to work in batches depending on your food processor. You can also chop them by hand.
- Combine the broccoli, kale, coconut, sliced almonds and blueberries in a large bow. Add the dressing and toss to coat.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Coconut Black Lentil Curry (vegan dal makhani) - February 24, 2017
- Coconut Lemon Energy Balls - February 21, 2017
- Sweet Potato Noodle Stir Fry with Thai Peanut Lime Sauce - February 17, 2017