Want a quick dinner that will take you only a few minutes to make but be crazy delicious? I thought you might. These bang bang shrimp are super easy to make and will disappear off your plate FAST.
BTW what's up with the name bang bang shrimp? Anyone know where that name came from? I think I'd rather call these guys crispy prawns or pan fried crispy shrimp but the official name seems to be bang bang shrimp.
Whatever the name is really doesn't matter. The prawns are crispy and coated in a sweet and creamy sauce. I love them served with some crunchy toasted walnuts on top. If you want to make an appetizer out of this for your next party, just serve the sauce on the side and let people dip the prawns (or bang bang shrimp) in it.
If you make Bang Bang Shrimp make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
- 30 medium sized raw/uncooked prawns (or shrimp)
- ¼ cup corn starch
- A pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- For the dressing: ¼ cup mayonnaise (I recommend Hellman's)
- ¼ cup liquid honey
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- A pinch of salt
- Optional: sriracha to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until they are fragrant. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Rinse prawns (shrimp) under cold running water. Shake off excess water and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine cornstarch and a pinch of salt. Add prawns (shrimp) to the bowl and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Whisk gently till combined and set aside.
- Add a splash of oil to a non-stick or cast iron frying pan over and heat over medium high heat. Add prawns (shrimp) to the hot frying pan in a single layer. If all the prawns don't fit, you may need to do 2 batches.
- Cook for about 1 minute, then flip prawns (shrimp) over and cook for about 30 more seconds. The prawns (shrimp) are cooked when they turn pink. Make sure to not over cook them or they will turn rubbery!
- Remove the prawns from the heat. Pour the dressing over top and toss gently to coat. Top with toasted walnuts.