Baby kale + grapefruit + toasted almonds = YES! Actually it doesn’t excite me as much as the Bacon, Caramelized Onion and Cheddar Deviled Eggs that I’ve been pigging out on for the last 2 days did. Nor the Bacon, Bourbon and Peanut Butter Cookies that I called dinner last night (Dn’t worry, I’ll share that recipe with you this week!) But after all that bacon + bacon + cheese + bacon + cookies, a salad is what I’m craving.
Did you know that you’re supposed to massage your kale in olive oil before eating it? I just learned that. The whole time I was ‘massaging’ the kale I thought, “This doesn’t seem fair! Where’s my massage?”
It needed it though. It was all loose and buttery looking after it’s little massage. (Apparently I’m a natural at massaging baby kale.)
If you can’t find baby kale, or don’t want to look for it, or don’t want to be bitter about it getting a massage and not you, you can use any other kind of lettuce instead. I think arugula would also be awesome.
- Baby Kale
- 1-2 grapefruits, peeled and segments cut out
- Almonds, toasted
- Oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice
- In a large bowl drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the baby kale. Using your hands, massage the kale until it starts to soften, about 1 minute.
- Add grapefruit juice and toss to coat.
- Toss with toasted almonds and grapefruit segments.